Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Breakfast for Lunch

Hi there! I'm a few days behind here so I thought I'd do a quick post about my beloved frittata. I had it for lunch on Friday so let me show you the easy way to have "fancy" breakfast any morning. It's all about the the baggy for this meal. We got tomatoes, onions, peppers, and zucchinis in our CSA share last week (along with a lot of other stuff) and I decided that the best way to use up most of it in one dish. I feel like most people who would read a food blog know how to make this. But, my sister reads this blog because she is genetically obligated, and she doesn't know how to boil water...so bear with me.
I put about a teaspoon of butter in the hot pan and dump in about 1/2 a cup of the chopped up veggie mix. Eggology egg whites, get this in your life. I got a 32 oz. tub of the organic egg whites for $9 at Whole Foods. Seems pricey but it last me for at least a month. Anyway, moving on...
Add salt and pepper and whatever other seasonings you might like. Tabasco? Pepper flakes?
After the veggies have softened up a bit I add about 1/2 a cup of frozen chopped spinach. Also from Whole Foods but you can probably get it cheaper somewhere else. It cost me about $2.
Once the spinach has totally thawed out and been cooked a bit (about 3-5 minutes), I add about 4-5 ounces of the egg whites. Don't touch it, just let it cook on the bottom. Meanwhile, turn on the broiler in the oven.
Ok, here's where I show my true colors. I wrap my rubber coated frying pan handle in tin foil. Don't you dare judge me! It works. Stick it under the broiler for about 4 minutes or less.
Take it out of the oven and shimmy it out of the pan onto a plate to cool. Here's where I go take a shower and get ready for work.
I pack it up before I go to work. Maybe some people don't like the idea of microwaved eggs but it's actually very tasty when I nuke it for about a minute when I get to work.

3 comments:

  1. You what the what now? "I wrap my rubber coated frying pan handle in tin foil." I'm not sure if that's more funny or dangerous. Probably a little bit of both. If I bought you a beautiful round Pyrex pie dish, would you use it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this...the hubster will be making this for me and the kid (who will not touch it!)this weekend!

    ReplyDelete