Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pinkerton

I'm totally smitten with smoked salmon again. Also, a longtime love of mine is now in season (sort of). The best part: they are the same color. The pink fleshed details below:
  • smoked salmon, light harvati cheese and roasted asparagus in a whole wheat tortilla
  • cara cara orange
  • strawberries
  • CSA carrots
Seriously, smoked salmon at room temperature is a little piece of heaven. I can't believe I used to not eat this stuff because I thought it was too slimy. It gives me hope that something like raw tomatoes might be in my future. Although, I shutter at the thought of actually putting that in my mouth.

Anyway, the big news is that cara cara oranges are on the market shelves these days. Finally! These things scream CHRISTMAS to me. I should be clear though: the ones that I buy out here are not even half as good as the ones that are currently flooding the fields of my hometown right now. I have such an obsession with these beauties. When I go home for Christmas my parents fill 3 or 4 fruit bowls with them and I devour them like a pirate trying to stave of scurvy. I can safely say they make up 90% of my Christmas Vacation diet. ZOWIE!!! I can't wait to eat the real thing. Ok, I'll stop gushing about them...I'm off to go eat one right now.

1 comment:

  1. I have to try those oranges. At first they looked like ruby red grapefruit to me, which is one of the things I've packed for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete